Pannier Tank 9466 was built by Robert Stevenson’s Hawthorne Newcastle works in 1951 to a GWR design. 9466 is the only surviving mainline registered member of this class of locomotive. Introduced in 1947 for shunting suburban passenger’s trains and freight yard transfers, the Pannier Tanks were withdrawn in the mid 1960’s as the 350 horsepower diesel shunting locos replacing them and freight traffic declined. 9466 spent many years rotting in Barry Scrapyard alongside many other scrap steam locomotives.
Rescued in 1977, 9466 was lovingly restored at Quainton Road Railway Centre by a dedicated team of enthusiasts. Dennis B Howells, led the small team consisting of his father Brinley Howells and very close friend Graham Tyler.